Thursday 5 July 2012

Review: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent



20120705-213225.jpg


Title: Before I Wake
Author: Rachel Vincent
Published: 26 June 2012
Source: HarlequinTEEN Australia
Reviewed: Sapphireddragon
SapphiredDragon Rating: *****

Synopsis (via Goodreads): I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life....

Review: When I received this book from HarlequinTEEN Australia last week, I hadn't actually read the first 5 books. One week later and a trip to the library later, all I can say is WOW! Why didn't I read this series sooner? 

Before I wake is book 6 in the Soul Screamer series and easily the best so far. I didn't think that was possible after reading If I Die (book 5) as that kept me spellbound but even with an impossibly busy week last week, I managed to devour it.

What I love most about it I think, is the characters. They are all so definite and consistent yet lalways developing with the main character Kaylee managing to grow in this novel (despite being dead). I especially Sabine. She is so snarky in such a brutally honest but perceptive way that I had to laugh out loud at some of her dialogue to the other characters.  And that's a big plus for this series is the characters stay true all the way through. 

I also love the way that Ms Vincent weaves her story, with elements from as far back as book 1 coming to bear in this installment. It's so cleverly done and the writing itself flows easily to sweep the reader along. 

There is also a good balance of romance and action/story with neither outshining the other but still both being satisfying in their own right.

I loved Before I Wake.  By itself it was an awesome and it also advanced the series to the point that April 2013 and book 7 With all My Soul cannot come quickly enough.

A five star read for a five star series!

Sapphired Dragon xx

No comments:

Post a Comment