Wednesday 26 August 2015

Review: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4) by Sarah J Maas

Title: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)
Author: Sarah J Maas
Published: 1 September 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury Sydney
Source: Bloomsbury Sydney
Reviewed: Sapphired Dragon
Rating: ***** 

My Review:

I am not entirely sure that words can describe how much I adored this book. I seriously devoured it not able to get enough.

I can honestly say this was not only everything I hoped it would be but infinitely infinitely more.

The story starts about 4-5 weeks after the end of Heir of Fire and Celaena Sardothien/Aelin Galathynius has just set foot one back in Rifthold and she is back with a purpose.

It was amazingly easy to slip right back in the world of Erilea and to pick up where the story last left off. Right away, I needed to know everything about the characters I had been waiting so impatiently to revisit and Ms Maas did not disappoint. Characters from both the series proper and the previous novellas feature prominently in this novel which in many ways helps complete this instalment as Ms Maas begins to thread previously seemingly stand alone threads together.

Ms Maas writes her characters so wonderfully well. They are vibrant and they come alive and make you feel so much for them that whenever they do anything dangerous - which lets be honest, is really the entire book ;-)- I had my heart in my mouth scared about how they were going to come out at the other end. Every twist, every turn had me hanging on the edge of my seat in worry of what might happen to *my* beloved characters.

That being said there were some characters that insisted on annoying me for a good portion of the first part of the book *cough* Chaol *cough* but even when they were being annoying, you couldn't help but love them.

And the story itself? Sarah J Maas weaves a story like no other. There are layers and twists and turns,sub plots and threads that weave together and others that seem to stand alone randomly...until they are needed when they tighten the story and pull it together just right. There is so much in this story and I am in awe at the mastery of Ms Maas to be able to hold the multitude of different threads in her head and pull on them with such perfect timing to deliver what is easily the best instalment so far.

With action a plenty the whole way through, this book had me deep in its thrall from beginning to end and I can't wait for more!

Bring on Book 5 and 5 stars for an amazing read!

Sapphired Dragon xx




About The Book:


Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4) by Sarah J Maas



Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena’s epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena’s story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.

 check out the good reads link


Purchase: Bloomsbury AustAmazon | Booktopia  | Book Depository

 

No comments:

Post a Comment