Sunday 3 January 2016

Review: Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer

Title: Thicker Than Water
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Published: 4 January 2015
Publisher: Allen & Unwin Children's
Source: Allen & Unwin
Reviewed: Sapphired Dragon
Rating: **** 1/2  

My Review:


Imagine you have just moved to a new town with your mother. A town where you know absolutely no one. Then your mother is murdered, and if that wasn't bad enough, everyone in the town thinks you did it. You finally meet someone you can connect with in this town and they are the sister of three of the cops that are the most hell bent and proving your guilt.

This is the situation we find Thomas Bellwether in at the beginning of this newest paranormal thriller from Elementals series author Brigid Kemmerer and this novel is Ms Kemmerer at her best.

Right from the beginning I felt for Thomas and the situation he was in and desperately wanted him to prove his innocence As story built and grew, I found my belief wavering...Was he the killer? I think I changed my mind back and forth at there 3 or 4 times before the electrifying and chilling conclusion finally gave me an answer.

I loved that this book kept me guessing from beginning to end. Ms Kemmerer layered it exactly right so that every new revelation added more questions for every answer that you got and the reader got to go on the journey of discovery with both Thomas and Charlotte to try to find out what really happened that night.

The strong plot line is not the only great thing about this novel. I also loved the characters. The story is told in alternating points of view by Thomas and charlotte and Ms Kemmerer did a wonderful job in giving each of them a distinct voice so that even if each chapter didn't have the name of the character narrating it, the reader would be able to tell straight away. I also felt the characters were well written and easy to connect with. I felt Thomas' sense of isolation in this town where everyone thought he was a killer and I felt Charlotte's irritation and sense of claustrophobia at the constant over protectiveness and constraints laid on by her brother, parents and grandmother.

I loved her best friend Nicole, in part because we share the same first name but mostly because I am a sucker for a well drawn loyal best friend and this best friend's personality leaps out of the page at you. I loved Charlotte's brothers protective ness of their sister even as I chafed at the bit for Charlotte. Ms Kemmerer really captures the different personalities and this helped bring the story to life.

If you are a fan of a good YA thriller but not a huge paranormal fan, don't be put off as whilst there is a paranormal vein running through this book, it is first and foremost a thriller and a chilling one at that. One you won't want to put down till you have turned the last page and then mulled over it some as you digest the ending.

I devoured this book in less than 24 hours and am extremely happy to give this book 4 1/2 stars.

Sapphired Dragon xx





About The Book:


Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer



Thomas Bellweather would never knowingly hurt someone he loved. But when his mother is murdered inside their locked house, he is the only suspect. Even his cop-stepdad can't protect him forever in a new town where no one knows or trusts him.

The only person who believes him is Charlotte, sister to three protective cops and straight-up dangerous to Thomas. She knows there are pieces missing in the puzzle, and she's determined to find them.

But finding things that are hidden could get them both killed.

 check out the good reads link 
Purchase: Allen and UnwinBookworld | Amazon | Booktopia  | Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment