Monday 18 July 2016

Review:The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E.Pearson

Title: The Kiss of deception
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Published: 8th July 2014
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
Source: Book Depository
Reviewed: Sapphired Dragon
Rating: *** 1/2

My Review:

I struggled at first to get into this book. I am not quite sure what it was whether it was the fact that the main character's name was Princess Lia ( yes I know different spelling and in fact pronunciation but still...) or whether it was the fact that at first she seemed to be too perfect, in how she was able to instantly adjust to no longer being a princess and being on the run and survive on a multiple day trek to another city and the way the trek itself was mostly glossed over so suddenly she was there in the new town ready to start her new life know exactly what to do and settling in perfectly.

I really had to push myself to keep reading the first 20or so chapters as every time I left the book, i felt no motivation whatsoever to come back other than the fact I was in a buddy read and needed to keep reading. Thankfully the second half seemed to flow better and so I was able to speed through it and came out at the end realising I had in fact enjoyed it, and enjoyed it enough to continue on the the second book The Heart of Betrayal.

For the most part I found the prince and assassin almost interchangeable. Once I had figured out who was who, I found that neither character really stood out too much nor could I really figure out their motivation for their actions whilst they stayed in Terravin and I found the triangle a little too contrived and couldn't really feel much chemistry between any of them.That being said however, I did feel by that adding in the POVs from the assassin and the prince, definitely lended some more dimension to the story.

As mentioned the second half of the story seemed to flow a lot better. I felt like we spent the first half of the book kind of meandering a long waiting for the big event that would essentially start the action and the plot. There seemed quite a bit of set up and characters introduced who I think will become more important further along in the story and series. However in the second half i found myself more invested in the plot and the mysteries that were presented and interested to see how my theories would play out and events as they unfolded.

Overall, whilst I found the story in general not the most original and quite cliche/trope ridden with its love triangle and runaway perfect princess and another one or two that I won't mentioned for fear of spoiling the second half of the book, I did enjoy it and there are definitely some more characters and their secrets that look promising for book 2 and its story line.

While I do feel that this same story could have been told in a few less pages than the 486 its slated as, it is over all a reasonably enjoyable read so for this reason give it 3 1/2 stars


Sapphired Dragon xx





About The Book:




The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E.Pearson








A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love. .  


 
 
 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment